Ironically, we’re so careful with our skincare routine but tend to ignore that our makeup tools are basically living bacteria farms.
FYI: Brushes and applicators are caked with old makeup residue, oil and dead skin cells (which we apply to our freshly cleaned faces every morning)! It’s like taking a shower and wearing the same dirty underwear every day. Ugh.
So, what to do? If you ask them, Professional Makeup Artists will tell you to clean them after each use. But we barely have time to put our makeup on in the morning, let alone clean our brushes daily! Thankfully, a monthly deep clean is all you need to ensure cleanliness (and avoid break-outs).
There are plenty of specially designed “brush cleaners” everywhere, but they’re pretty harsh, kind of expensive and can seriously dry out your brushes (which is why most of the cleaners out there are made by people that also make brushes). All you need is good dish soap and warm water. And maybe a few paper towels.
Here’s our 5-minute solution; you already have everything you need in the kitchen. Ready? Here’s how to do it:
1) Gather all of your brushes and applicators, a clean bowl or mug and some paper towels.
2) Put a small amount of soap
onto your brush and massage gently to loosen the old makeup.
3) Swish it through a bowl of clean, warm water, being careful not to oversoak or wet the handles.
4) Rinse with warm water until the water runs clear.
5) Pinch with a paper towel to squeeze off excess water and leave them out on a clean, low-lint towel to air-dry.
We like to do this on a Sunday afternoon and leave them on the counter all day in a sunny spot so they’re ready for Monday morning!
*Extra Credit: Use a hypochlorous acid spray [the USA only] or a quick spritz of our 100% natural Glass Cleaner for an easy between-clean routine. Spray. Wipe. Done.